Write a 3–4-page article that addresses the topic of interprofessional collaboration and teamwork in health care organizations.
The majority of health care leaders today state that interprofessional collaboration is essential for effective and efficient health care delivery. But this type of collaboration rarely occurs (Bankston & Glazer, 2013). In this assessment you will consider what it takes to develop truly effective interprofessional collaborative teams.
When six Navy pilots step into their F/A-18 fighter jets, they become the Blue Angels, and the world sees a synchronized display of precision flight formation. During their aerial acrobatics, the 28-ton jets form a diamond shape with a mere 18 inches between the wing of one jet and the canopy of another, travelling at more than 300 miles per hour. How do the pilots achieve such precision? In addition to hours of practice, intense focus, clear communication, and mutual trust, “at the door, each [pilot] checks his or her ego, exchanging it for a soul-deep commitment to ‘The Team'” (Scott, 2005, para.1).
Teams and collaborative groups are at the heart of many great achievements and are common in health care and familiar to nurses. But what defines a team, and how do teams achieve great outcomes? There are a number of elements that must come together in order to build effective teams. Many teams are in a state of constant flux as they build and dissolve, based on the needs of the organization. Nurses are often involved in several teams at the same time, and many of these teams are multidisciplinary in nature.
So, what factors determine the effectiveness of a multidisciplinary team? Do the same factors affect different teams working within different areas of health care?
Scott, W. (2005). Blue angels. Aviation Week & Space Technology, 162(12), 50–57.
Search the Capella library and Internet to locate scholarly and professional journal articles on the elements of an effective interprofessional health care team to use as support in this assessment.
You have been asked to submit an article to be published in your organization’s newsletter. After careful deliberation, you have decided to address the topic of interprofessional collaboration and teamwork in health care organizations, and how teams can be successful. Your article should be 3–4 pages in length, not including the title page and references page. Format this assessment following APA guidelines.
Complete the following in your article:
- Explain what is meant by the term interprofessional collaboration from a nursing perspective. (Do not simply copy a definition from a dictionary or other resource!)
- Describe the characteristics and qualities of effective interprofessional teams in terms of patient care and safety.
- Describe the benefits and limitations of interprofessional teams for health care organizations, members of a team, and patients.
- Explain the challenges of working in an interprofessional team.
- Describe strategies to help people come together to function effectively as a collaborative team.
- Explain how interprofessional teams define success. Consider how the definition might change based on the types of situations the team was formed to handle.
- Include a separate title page and references page.
- Reference at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Use APA format.
- Use Times New Roman font, 12 point.