When discussing stress and burnout in nursing, the nursing shortage is a concern that comes to the top of the list (for legal and ethical reasons), both for working nurses and educational faculty. Find an article that explores this issue, summarize the article’s findings, and add a possible solution to the problem.
Your initial posting should be at least 400 words in length and utilize at least one scholarly source other than the textbook. Please reply to at least two classmates. Replies to classmates should be at least 200 words in length.
Part 2 After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
· CLO 2: Describe challenges facing health care that impact the delivery of nursing care. (PLG 1; UMBO 1,4)
· CLO 3: Discuss the role of the professional nurse in ethical and legal issues related to health care. (PLG 1; UMBO 1,4)
Welcome to Module 2! In today’s nursing environment, stress and burnout are a tremendous issue and we all know that day to day nursing is full of potential physical stressors from lifting and bending, call lights, exposure to toxic chemicals, and working long hours. Let’s be honest, being a caregiving can be draining and emotionally stressful yet there are additional emotional and mental challenges facing nurses such as the expectation to develop and maintain relationships with peers, doctors, patients, and management staff, take care of the dying, and the increased risk of violence in the healthcare setting. In addition, nurses are often under strain due to the short-staffing issue. This module opens up a discussion related to nurse burnout, role stress and strain in nursing, what happens to patient care, and interventions to manage.
· American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2018). About the nursing shortage .
· Carte, N. S., & Williams, C. (2017). Role strain among male RNs in the critical care setting: Perceptions of an unfriendly workplace. Intensive & Critical Care Nursing, 43, 81-86.
· Iel Marciano de, M. F., & de Almeida, R. J. (2016). Occupational stress at work in nursing in brazil: An integrative review. Revista Brasileira Em Promocao Da Saude, 29(3), 447-454.
· Johnston, D. W., Jones, M. C., Charles, K., Mccann, S. K., & Mckee, L. (2013). Stress in nurses: Stress-related affect and its determinants examined over the nursing day. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 45(3), 348-56.
· University Mission Based Outcomes – 1, 2, 3, 4
· Program Learning Goals – 1, 2
· Course Learning Objectives – 2, 3, 5
· AACN Baccalaureate Essential 8: Professionalism and professional values
· AACN Baccalaureate Essential 9: Baccalaureate generalist nursing practice
· IOM Core Competency 1: Patient-centered care
your work following the file naming convention FirstInitial.LastName_M01.docx. For example, J.Smith_M01.docx. Remember that it is not necessary to manually type in the file extension; it will automatically append.
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the course discussions so far and any insights gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources if needed, use APA style as required, and check your spelling.
Role Strain and Burnout in Nursing
Write a 1000-1500 word essay addressing each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. There should be three main sections, one for each bullet below. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) sources using citations in your essay. Make sure to cite using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page in correct APA do not count towards the minimum word amount. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.
· What happens to the nurse when role stress or strain becomes too overwhelming? What happens to patient care? How is this related to possible ethic and legal issues? Discuss how nurses can manage or reduce role stress and role strain.
· Think of an experience in your nursing profession where you either felt strain or burnout and how you overcame this event. (Since this is personal experience, you can use first person narration for this portion of your essay.)
Length: 1000-1500 words; answers must thoroughly address the questions in a clear, concise manner.
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA format. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment. Your essay must include an introduction and a conclusion.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. A minimum of three (3) scholarly sources are required.
Rubric: This assignment uses a rubric for scoring. Please review it as part of your assignment preparation and again prior to submission to ensure you have addressed its criteria at the highest level.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) or a PDF document (.pdf)
File name: Name your saved fil