Structural Versus Strategic Family Therapies
Assignment 1: Structural Versus Strategic Family Therapies
Although structural therapy and strategic therapy are both used in family therapy, these therapeutic approaches have many differences in theory and application. As you assess families and develop treatment plans, you must consider these differences and their potential impact on clients. For this Assignment, as you compare structural and strategic family therapy, consider which therapeutic approach you might use with your own client families.
· Refer to Gerlach (2015) in this week’s Learning Resources for guidance on creating a structural family map. Link : http://sfhelp.org/fam/map.htm
In a 2- to 3-page paper, address the following:
· Summarize the key points of both structural family therapy and strategic family therapy.
· Compare structural family therapy to strategic family therapy, noting the strengths and weaknesses of each.
· Provide an example of a family in your practicum using a structural family map. Note: Be sure to maintain HIPAA regulations.
· Recommend a specific therapy for the family, and justify your choice using the Learning Resources.
Jane – you can just make up an example of a family