MSB 735 Labor Management Relations Posted 3-24-2021 Due 4-7-2021
Assignment #6 – Based on Topic 6 Union Organizing
Utilizing the textbook, presentations, and research answer ALL of the following questions directly on this form. Use substantive & cogent responses (complete sentences in paragraph format – NO BULLETPOINTS, NO ABBREVIATED LISTS. (WHEN YOUR DONE YOU SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN ONE PAGE). Save the Form as a Word doc or PDF and attach it in the “Assignments Due Here” Forum on Blackboard by 11:59 PM on Wednesday 4-7-2021. For consideration, you must answer all of the questions including subsets of each question. Failure to answer any of the questions or subset of a question may result in rejection of the entire assignment. You must also clearly identify what you are answering. Cite your sources (textbook, PPT, research). Unless otherwise approved, unauthorized late submissions and e-mailed versions will not be accepted.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
1. Based on your textbook and the presentation, discuss the basic procedural steps and legal standards involved in the organizing process, i.e., how new unions are formed in the United States.
2. Do you think that there should be any limits on employer and union campaigning? Give reasons to support your answer. If you agree, what type of limits would you suggest?
3. a) What is a representation election? b) Why do individuals vote for or against a union in a representation election? Be specific.
4. Once a representation election is scheduled, the NLRB requires the employers to provide the union with a list of names and contact information for the employees eligible to vote in the election (the Excelsior list.) If you were one of the workers on that list, a) do you feel that this is an invasion of your privacy? b) Do you think that employees should be given the option of having their name excluded from the list? Give reasons to support your answers.
5. a) Explain the tactics used by employers to weaken individual support for unions? b) Why do employers use the tactics? and c) Why are the tactics so controversial?
6. a) Describe the traditional tactics used by unions to strengthen individual support for unions and b) Discuss the pressures union have for developing new strategies.
7. a) What is the certification election process? B) Compare the pros and cons of the existing certification election process and options for reform.
8. Bob Ulrich, former CEO of nonunion retailer Target, justified his company’s antiunion philosophy by saying that Target “simply doesn’t believe that third-party representation would add anything for our customers, our employees, or our shareholders. We just do not believe it’s productive and adds value.” Critique (provide a detailed analysis for or against) this stance.