Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to engage with your peers in an examination, analysis and evaluation of a Nursing Practice Case Study in relation to a Professional Standard, Practice Standard or Practice Guideline. Your team is expected to design and deliver a thorough Scholarly Essay that identifies an applicable CNO standard or guideline to the assigned case, analyzes and evaluates the case and makes recommendations for practice changes.
Course and Essential Employability Learning Outcomes evaluated in this Assignment:
1. Identify the legal, ethical and professional responsibilities and requirements for being a nurse in Ontario in order to provide safe, competent and ethical care.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
2. Describe how the effects of personal values and beliefs influence nursing care.
3. Apply caring theories and research to nursing practice using critical thinking strategies to promote safe, competent, and ethical nursing care.
4. Identify how the theories and concepts of caring serve as the foundation of nurse-client relationship.
5. Apply key principles of evidenced based practice and ways of knowing to nursing decision-making and practice issues.
6. Reflect on personal learning goals, strategies, and resources as part of nursing professional develop[pment.
7. Communicate clearly, concisely and correctly in the written, spoken, and visual form that fulfills the purpose and meets the needs of the audience.
8. Analyze, evaluate, and apply relevant information from a variety of sources.
9. Show respect for the diverse opinions, values, belief systems, and contributions of others.
10. Interact with others in groups or teams in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and the achievement of goals.
11. Manage the use of time and other resources to complete projects.
Team Case Study #
Lucinda, an RPN, works on the Rehabilitation Unit at Durham General Hospital. She has been working on this unit for 2 years. The patients on this unit primarily are recovering from hip fractures, repairs and replacements and knee replacements. The patient population is mainly the older adult, ages 60 years old and up. Lucinda considers this a rewarding unit to work on because as a nurse you are mostly part of a very successful process; watching someone progress from being dependent to independent. Sometimes patients are suffering from a multiple of other medical conditions along with their rehabilitation and this makes things more complicated and increase the patient care needs dramatically.
Today, Lucinda’s day on the Rehabilitation Unit has been very busy and tough. Presently, the unit has a large number of patients who are recovering from hip replacement surgery but are also very sick with a number of different medical conditions. Lucinda’s load is heavy, and she has three considerably challenging patients. Mrs. Lacey has had post-operative complications and has been in the hospital for 10 days. She has had an infection and is now suffering with delirium. Ever since she has been demonstrating signs of delirium it is very challenging to leave her alone. Mrs. Lacey’s daughter and son are regular visitors and often stop and talk to the nurses about their mother’s care. They ask about how Mrs. Lacey is doing and are occasionally critical of her care.
In the morning, Mrs. Lacey’s daughter was into visit. She stopped Lucinda with many questions about her care. Lucinda was on her way into to an assessment on one of her other patient’s but did make the time to listen carefully and discuss the issues and concerns raised. Later that afternoon, Mrs. Lacey’s son visited his mother. He also had a number of questions that were similar to his sister’s questions but once again Lucinda, even though she was running behind and had a patient who was not very stable, she stopped, listened and explained his mother’s care. About an hour and a half later, the unit manager told Lucinda that Mrs. Lacey’s family had phoned in with questions and concerns about her care. They reported that when they approached Lucinda with questions she was “busy” and “unhelpful.”
At the end of Lucinda’s shift, she was very angry and upset with how her day went. She took pride in the care she provided. She was exhausted after such a busy day. She sat down to relax and signed on to Facebook. She read some new posts and decided to update her status. She wrote: “So much for being patient and understanding L family – some people apparently just don’t want to hear!” #4thDGH #lifeofaRPN.
Part B – Team Scholarly Essay
Your team is expected to write and submit a scholarly essay that your team has worked on together related to your assigned case study.
· Title page following APA guidelines (tile page, margins, line spacing, format & font).
· A comprehensive introduction with a clear thesis statement and identification of the plan for your essay.
· A summary of your assigned case study.
· A discussion of the Professional Standard or Practice Standard or Practice Guideline your team has identified that applies to your Nursing Practice case study. This should include an explanation of the professional/practice standard/practice guideline and its related components and how they apply to the case (indicators, guiding principles).
· Based on a review of the literature and an analysis of the applicable Professional/Practice Standard/Practice guideline provide a discussion of three different recommendations for practice. Include an explanation of each recommendation and a rationale for each recommendation.
· The recommendations must be supported by peer-reviewed literature and not by a Nursing professional Guideline or Practice Standard. Remember to quote and reference in APA format.
· A comprehensive conclusion that pulls your paper all together and “sums” up your discussion with good continuity of thought.
· A minimum of three different scholarly sources in addition to the Professional Standard/Practice Standard/Guideline must be used in the written submission.
· References page following APA guidelines.
· Appendix with the names of each team member and who was assigned to which article. See below for more information.
Part B – Writing a Paper as a Team – Roles for Team Members
All members of the team must work together to analyze the assigned Nursing Practice case study and the following are individual roles that have worked well in the past to help a team decide how to complete a team essay submission. Together explore your strengths as a team and collaboratively decide who is best suited for each role.
· Role #1 – After team analysis and planning the team member must write both the introduction and conclusion as per above guidelines.
NURS 1520 – PART B
Scholarly Essay Marking Rubric
|Role 1||Meets All Expectations (5)||Approaches Expectations (2.5)||Does Not Meet All Expectations (0)|
|Introduction(5)||Focused and relevant introduction and statement of purpose||Weak or strained introduction||Missing introduction|
|Conclusion (5)||Clearly developed conclusion with good continuity of thought||Weak or strained conclusion||Missing conclusion|
Page 1 of 11
Page 8 of 11
Page 11 of 11