. Describe the general adaptation syndrome (GAS). Provide examples of at least five things that adults with good mental health are able to do.
HCA402—Module #5: Written Assignment #4:
Please see the grading rubric in the syllabus for specific requirements. In general, topics
responses should be in the form of a short application paper, 2-3 pages in length in APA
formatting, not including the required cover page and page for your reference list used to write
about your chosen topics. In your paper: 1) introduce your topics, 2) discuss your topics, and
then 3) make a conclusion about your topics.
Pick one (1) item from each of the (3) topic areas that interest you the most. Use the topic
heading as a subtitle in your paper:
TOPIC 1: Mental health vs. mental illness.
1. Describe the general adaptation syndrome (GAS). Provide examples of at least five things that adults with good mental health are able to do.
2. Provide examples and the differences between serious mental illness (SMI) and non- serious mental illness. What are pervasive developmental disorders and how might they
be classified in regard to serious or non-serious mental illness.
3. Describe the treatment goals for mental disorders. What may a community health program do to support these goals for example, those with severe depression, or those
with post-traumatic stress syndrome?
TOPIC 2: Community mental health. 1. Provide the descriptions and two (2) specific examples of a) primary, b) secondary, and
c) tertiary prevention in community mental health.
2. Compare personal consequences of drug abuse against community consequences of drug abuse. How would individual versus community interventions differ for addictions?
3. What is a community self-help group? Are self-help groups effective? Justify your answer with examples.
TOPIC 3: Addictions. 1. Is there a difference between drug abuse and drug misuse; explain with examples? 2. Describe the four basic elements that play a role in drug abuse prevention and control in
relationship to the National Drug Control Strategy (White House, 2012).
3. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA), the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), the Department of Homeland Security, the
Department of Justice, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives all
have a part on the war on drug addictions. Describe what each of these organizations do
to prevent and control drug abuse and misuse.